Saturday, October 13, 2012

A Dreamy Week

I was very much looking forward to this past Monday because this would be the day that my parents would come to Haiti after 5 years.  We would meet together in Haiti since 2007 when we left together.  Ever since it has been me in Haiti and not them, so it felt like a dream to have them here.  It still feels that way actually.  I have enjoyed their company, but I still ask myself sometimes if I'm dreaming.  I'm just glad that they could get away for a while to visit family and friends.

As for me, I will be leaving Haiti in 9 days, leaving my parents behind...AGAIN.  We're making a switch, if you would.  I'm taking a 2-month break from Haiti to take care of some personal things, get some rest, and talk to people about what I've been up to for the past 7 months.  I'm looking forward to returning to Bethany EMC, my home church, and just to be available and see faces again after just over half a year.  End of November my parents should be back in Canada.  I plan to return to Haiti mid-December.  So, I just think this whole period of time is pretty dreamy.

At Sunshine Home then, everybody is happy to witness the return of my mother because she's the one that held the fort here for four years.  And she managed the orphanage well.  My grandmother would like her to be the one to take over.  Although that's not possible for the time being, I'm sure God is going to open some doorss unexpectedly.

At the church, we are now in a period of 21 days of prayer.  We startedd October 1st and it will end October 21st, a day before I leave.  This is for the occasion of the church's 37th anniversary.  I felt that we needed to pray as a church more than anything else at this moment with the recent happenings in our midst and a few members echoed the same idea.  So, that's what we are doing.  And I believe the Lord is doing something special on the inside of each person who is participating.

The English institute is going well.  It's not big at all, it i actually very small.  But, I have a stable group of students who are faithful in coming to learn the english language.  They are 5 in all.  Of course, there were more. People came and went, but these are consistent.  So, I'm working with them and giving them the best experience possible.  In January, I will begin teaching in a different area on the days that I'm not at the institute.  The area is called "croix des bouquets."  The school I will be teaching at was built by a family member of mine who wanted to help underserved children.  So, I'll be teaching english from grades 1-6.  I'd say that the first extension of my english teaching and I'm happy with that.

I'm glad that the Lord is using me and leading me into things that I never thought I'd get to.  And I'm thankful to be able to have this kind of experience at an early age.  It gives a bit of time to modify some things for ministry in the future since early on I've been able to see what works and what doesn't.

9 more days and then I'll be home.  Quite dreamy.

No comments:

Post a Comment